Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Blog #3 - Beginning my Chicago Wardrobe Inspired by the Breezy Tee Tunic



Right before my husband and I retired April 30, 2017, I found a free pattern online called The Breezy Tee Tunic by Autumn on It’sAlwaysAutumn.com.  Autumn provides some free patterns that she drafted for herself in her size.  She invites you to download the patterns, alter as needed, and use for yourself.  And have I ever!  In addition to getting the sizing correct, I lengthened both the overall length and the shoulder to provide a bit more arm coverage, and did a forward shoulder adjustment.

This is an example of one of the tunics I’ve made.  I prefer to make them out of a jersey knit or lighter weight Ponte.  I have made a few out of woven fabrics, but I just don’t reach for those nearly as much.  This tunic has become one of my most worn summer items.  When paired with leggings and sandals, it’s a versatile outfit for a day out in the city or the low country.    



The blue & white stripe above is Modern Jersey from Spoonflower Fabrics.  This is my favorite jersey to sew with, and of course there are an incredible number of designs to choose from on Spoonflower, making this jersey worth the price in my eyes.

As you may have seen in my last post, I am creating a capsule wardrobe of sorts to leave in our apartment in Chicago - eliminating the need to lug a suitcase between Chicago and our house in South Carolina.

I opted to start my Chicago wardrobe with a set of these tunics out of Modern Jersey in black & white, aqua, and a lavender pink.  I also ended up adding in a light blue Modern Jersey and a black & white Ponte from Oak Fabrics in Chicago. 

I sewed these tunics in a batch method, along with an additional mustard yellow one that will remain in South Carolina.  Here is an in progress picture of the pile of tunics after I stitched up the shoulder seams and as I began to put the prepared neck facings in.

   

These are easy sews to begin with and they all needed white thread in my machine and serger, so before I knew it I had five new tunics – four for Chicago and one additional.

The picture below shows the existing aqua tunic on the left, then the four new tunics, with a scrap of the fifth new tunic hanging with them.  That tunic will go to Chicago cut out and ready to sew up there as I do have a little sewing corner in our apartment. 


Six tunics, worn with RTW leggings, is a great start to my summer Chicago wardrobe.  Now on to a few dresses to add some variety.

Bye for now!

Barbara

You can find me on Instagram and Ravelry as sewBknit



No comments: